Umbrella is a nonprofit agency that since 1995 has been helping senior citizens and people with disabilities live comfortably, safely and independently in their own homes. Serving Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady and Rensselaer Counties in upstate New York, Umbrella is an award winning program recognized by New York State and local governments alike for its excellence, the Center for Independence for promoting barrier free housing and the Chamber of Schenectady County as best new non-profit in 2005. Umbrella has also been featured as a model program in WMHT television’s series “It’s An Age Thing”.
At present, Umbrella has a dedicated work force of more than 100 retirees from throughout the Capital District who have lived in our community for many years. They are not contractors, but they do have a wide variety skills that can help you to maintain your home and your independence. Umbrella doesn’t do everything, but Umbrella professionals will do everything they can to help you find the services you need even if not directly provided by Umbrella. In short, Umbrella is devoted to doing what needs to be done to keep you in your own home.
In an emergency, help is just a phone call away, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. On that cheerless night when a pipe bursts, a furnace won’t start, or a window breaks, Umbrella handypersons are ready and able to correct the problem. What’s more, they arrive at your door within 90 minutes!
Umbrella of the Capital District Inc. is a 501c3 corporation, registered with the Charities Bureau in the State of New York. The organization is a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau and The New York State Council of Community Services. Currently, Umbrella serves approximately 600 households in Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer and Saratoga counties.
What we provide…
• 24/7/365 Emergency Response Service.
• Reliable fixed-rate handyman and homemaker services.
• Service providers are screened.
• Referral service for needs not provided by Umbrella of the Capital District.
• Member satisfaction guaranteed.
Home Maintenance & Repair
• Annual home inspection and written report emphasizing safety, regular maintenance and preventative repair.
• $12.00/hour handyman service for routine repairs & odd jobs.
• Discounts on parts & materials.
• Fixed rate ($50.00 per hour) for licensed plumbers & ($64.00 per hour) licensed electricians.
• Weather-related home watch available upon request.
• All handyman labor warranted for one full year
• One hour of free service if representative is more than one hour late for scheduled appointment.
• House cleaning
• Transportation and accompaniment to appointments