Umbrella is a nonprofit agency that has been helping senior citizens and people with disabilities live comfortably, safely and independently in their own homes since 1995. Serving Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady and Rensselaer Counties in upstate New York, Umbrella is an award-winning program recognized by New York State and local governments alike for its excellence, by the Center for Independence for promoting barrier free housing and by the Chamber of Schenectady County as best new non-profit in 2005. Umbrella has also been featured as a model program in WMHT television’s series “It’s An Age Thing”.
At present, Umbrella has a dedicated work force of more than 100 retirees from throughout the Capital District who have lived in our community for many years. These handypersons are not contractors, but they do have a wide variety skills that can help you to maintain your home and your independence. Umbrella doesn’t do everything, but if you need a service that we don’t provide, our staff will do everything they can to help you find the help you need. We have agreements in place with licensed plumbers and electricians that charge our members a reduced rate. And for bigger jobs, we can recommend several contractors that we know and trust. In short, Umbrella is devoted to doing what needs to be done to keep you in your own home.
In case of emergency, help is just a phone call away, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. On that cheerless night when a pipe bursts, your furnace won’t start, or a window breaks, Umbrella will send someone out to correct the problem. What’s more, they’ll arrive at your door within 90 minutes!
Umbrella of the Capital District Inc. is a 501c3 corporation, registered with the Charities Bureau in the State of New York. We are a member in good standing of the Better Business Bureau and The New York State Council of Community Services. Umbrella currently serves approximately 600 households in Albany, Schenectady, Rensselaer and Saratoga counties.
What we provide…
• 24/7/365 Emergency Response Service.
• Reliable, fixed-rate handyman and homemaker services.
• Service providers are screened.
• Referral services for needs not provided by Umbrella of the Capital District.
• Member satisfaction guaranteed.
Home Maintenance & Repair
• Annual home inspection and written report emphasizing safety, regular maintenance and preventative repair.
• $12.00/hour handyman service for routine repairs & odd jobs.
• Discounts on parts & materials.
• Discounted rates for licensed plumbers and electricians.
• Weather-related home watch available upon request.
• All handyman labor is warranted for one full year
• One hour of free service if handyperson is more than one hour late for a scheduled appointment.
• House cleaning
• Transportation and accompaniment to appointments